Tuesday 15 February 2011

Great Blue Cheese- With Nail Blue

Good tasting food can only made with great ingredients. I want to have some links to out side suppliers where great tasting food is available. http://www.wintertarn.co.uk/ are
the suppliers of speciality Cheeses, Farmhouse butter and milk Winter Tarn Organic Farm are situated near Shap, Cumbria, CA10 3EW. I met them at a 'Made in Cumbria' food fair. There is a bit of a joke as to the name of the cheese. The farm is situated close to where the film was made Withnail and I and as the blue streaks are produced with nails, the title was born.


This blue cheese is very similar to a dolcelatte Italian blue but I may be biased as I am jumping up and down for UK producers, I think its better. Its softer in texture and I think the flavour lingers more. The piece I had was fairly ripe and was good on its own or made into a sauce. If I had not eaten it all you could have had a picture of it.


There was also a newish (11 weeks) cream coloured smooth Caerphilly type which lingered in the mouth after a creamy start and an incredible Double Gloucester, red, creamy. A lot of cream descriptions here but that's what they are like.

1 comment:

Rachel Lucas said...

Yum Barbara! Will look out for this when weare up in the Lakes this Summer...blue cheese is my favourite. Paul was in Penrith last week! Hope all is well with you, I saw Yotam yesterday & Peter on Monday...we were talking about you & how well you're doing with the blog. Do keep it up! Lots of love xoxo Rachel